Kayak & Canoe Sessions & Courses
Date: Easter to September (each Year)
Suitable for: Cubs and Up
Venue: Sutton Bingham Reservoir, Yeovil, Somerset Ba22 9Qp, Yeovil BA22 9QP
Cost Range: £3 per one off session/ / £9 for a 3 week course
Scout Kayak, Canoe & Paddle Board training is available at Sutton Bingham Reservoir. Groups can book either one off sessions or a 3 week course (not Paddleboard) to work towards the Scout Paddle Sports awards.
Sessions run on Tuesday evenings 6pm to 8pm from Easter up to September. All boats, paddles and safety equipment are provided (including buoyancy aids). Sessions are run by coaches, covered by Scout Association Adventurous Activity Permits scheme.
All groups must bring completed Health forms for everyone who is going on the water. Everyone must inform the instructors at the start of each session if they cannot swim at least 25m. The coaches can then set up the session to accommodate this.
DBS cleared leaders and adult helpers are welcome to join in on the sessions (numbers permitting) but must abide by the same rules as the scouts and join in with the session.
Session options and costs (costs are per person):
One off Kayak / Canoe session (1 week) £3
- The aim of the session will be to cover all sections of the Paddle Sports – Stage 1 award.
- Groups can help to achieve this by covering sections 1 and 2 in advance of the session.
One off Paddleboard session (1 week) £3
- Maximum group size of 10
- Option for ½ Paddleboard and ½ Kayak is available for groups of 20
Three week Kayak / Canoe course £9
- The aim of the course will be to cover all sections of the Paddle Sports – Stage 2 award.
- If the ability and desire to work with the instructors is high across the whole group or the group has kayaked before the aim will be to progress to the Paddle Sports – Stage 3 award.
If you would like to book any sessions please complete the form attached and return it to the team by e-mail to
Please list as many dates as possible and please completely fill out the booking form as any gaps may result in the inability to fit you in. We are always over booked and the more options you give us the more chance we can fit you in.
Kit & Equipment:
Kit List for Canoeing / Kayaking:
- Old shoes or beach shoes (Mandatory)
- Wet suit (or old clothes (not Jeans), long sleeves)
- A light weight windproof top (if you get wet even a light breeze will quickly cool the body).
- If you wear glasses and need them for paddling they will need to be tied on.
- If it is very sunny, sun cream and a hat are a good idea.
- If young people do not come correctly dressed they will not be able to complete any of the awards
- Change of Clothes / Towel / Drink & snack
- A bag for your wet gear (just in case you get wet!)
We will provide the following
Kayaks, Canoes, Paddle Boards, Paddles, Spray decks (if appropriate), buoyancy aids.
Don’t forget your health form!! – No Form, No paddling, No exception.
Parking and Access:
Although there is a pull in next to the site access gate, it is not to be used for drop off or collection of young people. This is due to the risk of traffic highlight by Wessex Water and part of the agreement to use the reservoir.
Please ensure that your group meet in the car park with enough time to walk to the hut without delaying your start time.
Things to Know:
Operating Procedure for Canoeing and Kayaking activities at Sutton Bingham Reservoir (2019)
- The following procedures apply to ALL people taking part in Canoeing and /or Kayaking (Canoeing) activities with SSCA (East Somerset Scouts) at Sutton Bingham Reservoir. This includes people on the bank and those bringing people to the site and collecting them.
- The facility is operated in conjunction with Sutton Bingham and District Canoe Club, who hold the Licence from Wessex Water to run Canoeing activities on the reservoir. The club is affiliated to the British Canoe Union and has achieved the Top Club and Club Mark accreditations for standards of coaching, development and operation. This operating procedure has been defined in conjunction with the club operating procedures.
- Please note: The canoe club are actively seeking to improve the facilities for canoeing and Kayaking at this site, including improved access and parking facilities. As an associated group we need to help the club in achieving these goals. Please be aware of this, in particular in complying with the parking arrangements to avoid issues with cars in the road near the site.
- Site Access: Vehicle access to the site is restricted due to the risk from people moving equipment around the restricted area, children running about and the limited visibility at the site entrance. Access is restricted to canoe coaches and a maximum of two vehicles from visiting groups. Other vehicles must be parked at the picnic site car park and the boat store accessed by walking along the path at the back of the car park along the edge of the reservoir (250m) Note: The nearest toilet facilities are located in the car park.
- Water Access: Anyone entering the water or assisting with boat launching or recovery MUST be wearing a correctly fitted buoyancy aid. No one may enter the water without the permission of a coach.
- Risk Assessment: An assessment has been prepared to minimise the risks during this adventurous activity.
- Appropriate behaviour: The reservoir is a public access area and courteous behaviour is expected at all times.
- Animals: As a source of drinking water Wessex Water do not permit any dogs on the site.
- Care of Equipment: Care of equipment is a key part of the activity and all persons taking part in the activity are expected to help in the removal and replacement of equipment into the boat store. All boats are to be emptied before returning them to the boat store and boats. All buoyancy aids and spray decks are to be returned to the storage racks and hung up correctly to ensure that they dry properly. Correct lifting and carrying (as taught by the coaches) is to be used at all times (Teamwork).
What the coach says goes – The coaches’ decision is Final.
This is a Fun Adventurous Activity. Play by the rules and have FUN.